Scientific service center in the field of conservation and restoration
Since 1998, the Hornemann Institute has been operating as a scientific service center in the field of conservation and restoration. In September 2003 the Hornemann Institute became a part of the University of Applied Sciences und Arts Hildesheim/Holzminden/Göttingen.
The primary aim of the Institute is the world wide knowledge transfer of current scientific results within the scope of conservation and restoration.
Information and services in the field of conservation and restoration
- With our E-Publication (university papers, conference papers, essays, project documentation, videos, posters) we promote the exchange of information for quick and uncomplicated publication and research.
- We provide continued education opportunities by conveying research results and fundamental knowledge in our internet-based courses.
- We organize conferences to inform about the significance of cultural heritage and demonstrate how to preserve it.
- We offer help by the publication of annotated link lists, e.g. on obtaining books and articles, electronic publications or distance learning courses.
- We publish books, videos and CD-ROMs.
- We develop websites and communication platforms for projects in the field of Preservation of Cultural Heritage.
- We developed a multilingual Virtual Research Environment with two Wikis on salt decay, an Internet-based, editorially-managed information structure along the lines of the Internet encyclopaedia Wikipedia, but written only by professionals.
- In cooperation with educators we compile educational material on the Hildesheim World Heritage Site, e. g. our World Heritage Cases with suggestions to prepare a lesson.
Our team comprises experts on the subjects of monument preservation, restoration and conservation and electronic data processing.